GWCF Development Director
Posted: October 3, 2019
Description of Role
Global Works Community Fund is seeking a half-time Development Director to join our growing team in providing high school students from diverse backgrounds fully-funded opportunities for civic engagement, service-based travel, and leadership development. The Development Director will build capacity and structure for increased programming for GWCF students and alumni in order to serve more students, to creatively implement new programming, and to expand our reach. The Development Director will work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to create and implement marketing and fundraising strategies . In addition, the Development Director will work with the Program Coordinator to plan collaborative events for our students and community partners. This is an excellent position for someone willing to play an active role in building community in Portland and beyond and furthering social justice efforts.
- Work with the Board of Directors and the Executive Director to develop a long-range strategic fundraising plan with quarterly and annual goals and benchmarks.
- Research and identify fundraising sources. Prospect, cultivate and solicit potential major donors and corporate donors. Work with the Board of Directors in this process, especially as it relates to accessing their potential funder networks and connections.
- Create the strategy and execute on a GWCF individual giving program, including major gifts, a targeted annual appeal, and board giving.
- Support in formulation of community partnerships through a strength-based, social justice lens informed by diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Support in defining and implementing GWCF “voice” in marketing and messaging, supporting to define brand guidelines and style guides.
- Oversee the GWCF website and fundraising collateral strategy, maintaining integration between the messaging of GWCF externally and fundraising initiatives.
- Lead and assist with fundraising and special events.
- Coordinate updating social media accounts with fresh content that communicates our approach and work, uplifts partners, calls people to action, and adheres to our brand guidelines. Includes, researching stories relevant to GWCF mission and vision that invites conversation and interaction.
- Coordinate formatting, and publishing blog posts and other organizational content.
- Coordinate with team to update website content and design.
- Create and maintain systems to keep GWCF’s online presence and donor communication organized and timely. Lead donor communications through email and print correspondence.
- Build and organize a well-catalogued digital library of stock and original photos.
- Support with analysis of communications and digital media presence.
- Support with yearly GWCF yearbook efforts
- Have knowledge of email, social media, and print marketing, and ability to create templates and write copy.
- Contribute to overall team efforts.
- Be committed to the mission of Global Works Community Fund
- Work 20 hours a week, flexibility on evenings and weekends
- Ability to consider the impacts and outcomes for underserved communities during decision-making process
- Self-motivated, idea generator
- Proactive in working alone and with a team - leading and following direction
- Experience with WordPress and social media platforms
- Be available for board and staff meetings (some evenings)
- Be available for events and program meetings with youth (some evenings and weekends)
- Superior communication skills, both externally working with partners and funders, as well as internally to succeed in working cross-collaboratively with GWCF colleagues
- Strong writing skills, including demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively for grant applications, routine reports and donor correspondence
- Strong public speaking abilities, including meeting facilitation
- Relationship orientation, strong networker, collaborative nature
- Experience in Salesforce, or other donor databases and willingness to learn
Effective and sensitive interpersonal skills; experience creating and leading a team to a defined goal; impeccable organizational and efficiency skills; strong attention to detail; ability to problem solve and anticipate issues; ability to adapt and improvise; self-awareness; positive attitude and energy; commitment to collaboration; willingness to lean into discomfort; dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion; willingness to reflect on issues of social justice including systemic racism, privilege and inequity. Understanding of, and dedication to, diversity, equity, and inclusion, and how to message our program through social justice lens using strength-based language. Creative self-starter with a passion for community engagement and social justice.
Hours and Compensation
- Compensation $20,000 - .5 FTE (20 hours/week)
- Based in Portland, Oregon
- Flexible hours, mostly home based. Expect 1x/mo board/committee meetings, 1x/mo supervisor meeting, 1x/mo staff meetings - in person or online.
- Ability to create own schedule
- Minimum of a 6-month contract with option to extend contract based on performance
How to Apply
- Please send resume and letter of intent to email@example.com
- In your cover letter please answer these three questions:
- What is your comfort level and experience forging new relationships/partnerships in Portland and/or other cities?
- What excites you about the Global Works Community Funds mission?
- What is your experience defining organizational messaging?
- In your cover letter please answer these three questions:
- Interviews will be held in person or online during the month of October. Position expected to begin November 1.
- Position open until filled.
Global Works Community Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage candidates of any race, color, age, sex, national origin, ability status, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression.